Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Black Beans and Rice



I first tried this hearty, simple meal at my good friend Maggie's house.  I loved it instantly, and I left with a full belly and the recipe! Since then it's become a bit of a joke between the two of us. We've eaten it for dinner at home and then served it to each other for lunch the next day. We've both brought our versions to church fellowship meals, and prodded our husbands to declare whose version is best. (It's hers, by the way.) Of all of the meals I've made over the years, this is one I keep coming back to.  My children love the taste, my husband loves the price of the ingredients, and I love the ease and quickness!  When I was pregnant with Jane, I taught my sweet husband (who is fabulous at many things but not much of a cook) how to make this, and now he has an easy go-to meal to make on nights when I'm out running errands.  In short, this is the real food kitchen answer to fast food. I know you're going to love it!


There is a lot of room for experimentation here, but these are the basic ingredients I use:
Feeds 4-6 people
1-2 Tbsp. organic/grassfed butter
1 onion, diced
1 organic bell pepper, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
4 cans of organic black beans, or equivalent amount of prepared dried beans. I've been using these beans from Target, there are no artificial preservatives and the box is BPA free!
1-2 cups of bone broth, organic chicken stock, or filtered water
Handful chopped spinach or kale
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Serve over your favorite kind of rice or quinoa, cooked in bone broth for added nourishment.
Top with raw cheddar cheese, and organic sour cream.



In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
Add onion, green pepper, and some s&p. Cook until the onion is translucent.
Toss in crushed garlic, cook until just fragrant, take care not to burn the garlic!
Now add your beans and cooking liquid of choice. This is a great way to add extra nutrition with bone broth.
Bring the beans up to a boil, then lower temp to simmer.
Add chopped greens, oregano, and vinegar. Season with more s&p to taste. Let the beans simmer with the lid off for 10 minutes or more, to bring the flavors together. Serve over rice, top with delicious toppings, and enjoy this super easy, budget friendly, real food meal! If you're feeling extra generous, grab some organic tortilla chips and go crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment